Corporation O. http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010b/nr101207op1e.jsp [accessed 22.11.14].
Clinical utilization of BMPs
- Kanayama M.
- Hashimoto T.
- Shigenobu K.
- Yamane S.
- Bauer T.W.
- Togawa D.
- Hoshino M.
- Namikawa T.
- Kato M.
- Terai H.
- Taguchi S.
- Takaoka K.
- Sampath T.K.
- Maliakal J.C.
- Hauschka P.V.
- et al.
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Conflict of Interest Statement for Arzeno
- Conflict of Interest Statement for Huddleston
- Conflict of Interest Statement for Wang
- Bone: formation by autoinduction.Science. 1965; 150: 893
- Mechanism for the action of bone morphogenetic proteins and regulation of their activity.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27: S10
- Signal transduction of bone morphogenetic proteins in osteoblast differentiation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85-A Suppl 3: 34
- Homology of bone-inductive proteins from human, monkey, bovine, and rat extracellular matrix.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1983; 80: 6591
- Novel regulators of bone formation: molecular clones and activities.Science. 1988; 242: 1528
- Initiation of fracture repair by bone morphogenetic proteins.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : S66
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein induces bone formation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990; 87: 2220
- Bone morphogenetic proteins.Growth Factors. 2004; 22: 233
- Bone morphogenetic protein and bone morphogenetic protein gene family in bone formation and repair.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 26
- Differential temporal expression of members of the transforming growth factor beta superfamily during murine fracture healing.J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 513
Corporation O. http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010b/nr101207op1e.jsp [accessed 22.11.14].
- Bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2) enhances BMP-3, BMP-4, and bone cell differentiation marker gene expression during the induction of mineralized bone matrix formation in cultures of fetal rat calvarial osteoblasts.Calcif Tissue Int. 1997; 60: 283
- Osteogenic protein-1 delivered by hydroxyapatite-coated implants improves bone ingrowth in extracortical bone bridging.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 1470
- Locally delivered rhBMP-2 enhances bone ingrowth and gap healing in a canine model.J Orthop Res. 2004; 22: 58
- Repair of segmental defects in rabbit humeri with titanium fiber mesh cylinders containing recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) and a synthetic polymer.J Biomed Mater Res. 2002; 62: 169
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 accelerates healing in a rabbit ulnar osteotomy model.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83-A: 1219
- rhBMP-2 injected in a calcium phosphate paste (alpha-BSM) accelerates healing in the rabbit ulnar osteotomy model.J Orthop Res. 2003; 21: 997
- Osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) in the treatment of tibial nonunions.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83-A Suppl 1: S151
- Recombinant human BMP-2 and allograft compared with autogenous bone graft for reconstruction of diaphyseal tibial fractures with cortical defects. A randomized, controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 1431
- Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) for fracture healing in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD006950
- A prospective randomized study of posterolateral lumbar fusion using osteogenic protein-1 (OP-1) versus local autograft with ceramic bone substitute: emphasis of surgical exploration and histologic assessment.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006; 31: 1067
- Randomized radiostereometric study comparing osteogenic protein-1 (BMP-7) and autograft bone in human noninstrumented posterolateral lumbar fusion: 2002 Volvo Award in clinical studies.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27: 2654
- A pilot study evaluating the safety and efficacy of OP-1 Putty (rhBMP-7) as a replacement for iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis for degenerative spondylolisthesis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004; 29: 1885
- A 2-year follow-up pilot study evaluating the safety and efficacy of op-1 putty (rhbmp-7) as an adjunct to iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar fusions.Eur Spine J. 2005; 14: 623
- A prospective, randomized, controlled, multicenter study of osteogenic protein-1 in instrumented posterolateral fusions: report on safety and feasibility.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010; 35: 1185
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 on an absorbable collagen sponge with an osteoconductive bulking agent in posterolateral arthrodesis with instrumentation. A prospective randomized trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 1604
- rhBMP-2 for posterolateral instrumented lumbar fusion: a multicenter prospective randomized controlled trial.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013; 38: 2139
- The effect of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in single-level posterior lumbar interbody arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 873
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for treatment of open tibial fractures: a prospective, controlled, randomized study of four hundred and fifty patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84-A: 2123
- Efficacy and safety of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2/calcium phosphate matrix for closed tibial diaphyseal fracture: a double-blind, randomized, controlled phase-II/III trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 2088
- Effectiveness and harms of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in spine fusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 890
- Reporting of industry funded study outcome data: comparison of confidential and published data on the safety and effectiveness of rhBMP-2 for spinal fusion.BMJ. 2013; : f3981
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 versus autogenous iliac crest bone graft for lumbar fusion: a meta-analysis of ten randomized controlled trials.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012; 132: 1725
- A critical review of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 trials in spinal surgery: emerging safety concerns and lessons learned.Spine J. 2011; 11: 471
- Safety of transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion and intervertebral recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2.J Neurosurg Spine. 2005; 3: 436
- Complications in the use of rhBMP-2 in PEEK cages for interbody spinal fusions.J Spinal Disord Tech. 2008; 21: 557
- Safety and effectiveness of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for spinal fusion: a meta-analysis of individual-participant data.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 877
- Safety profile for the clinical use of bone morphogenetic proteins in the spine.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27: S40
- Adverse events after recombinant human BMP2 in nonspinal orthopaedic procedures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471: 1707
- Cancer risk from bone morphogenetic protein exposure in spinal arthrodesis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1417
- Osteoinductive agents in reconstructive hip surgery: a look forward.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 195
- Bone graft incorporation around titanium-alloy- and hydroxyapatite-coated implants in dogs.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992; : 282
- The efficacy of BMP-2 to induce bone ingrowth in a total hip replacement model.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 50
- Repair of bone defects in revision hip arthroplasty by implantation of a new bone-inducing material comprised of recombinant human BMP-2, Beta-TCP powder, and a biodegradable polymer: an experimental study in dogs.J Orthop Res. 2007; 25: 1042
- Induction of bone ingrowth from acetabular defects to a porous surface with OP-1.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; : 41
- Osteogenic protein 1 device increases bone formation and bone graft resorption around cementless implants.Acta Orthop Scand. 2002; 73: 31
- Osteogenic protein-1 increases the fixation of implants grafted with morcellised bone allograft and ProOsteon bone substitute: an experimental study in dogs.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 121
- The Otto Aufranc Award. Strut allograft healing to the femur with recombinant human osteogenic protein-1.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000; : 47
- The use of osteogenic protein-1 in reconstructive surgery of the hip.J Arthroplasty. 2001; 16: 88
- Saving implants BMP-2 application in revision total hip surgery.Int J Biomed Sci. 2006; 2: 187
- Mixing bone graft with OP-1 does not improve cup or stem fixation in revision surgery of the hip: 5-year follow-up of 10 acetabular and 11 femoral study cases and 40 control cases.Acta Orthop. 2006; 77: 39
- Heterotopic ossification.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004; 12: 116
- Animal models of heterotopic ossification.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 71
- Overexpression of an osteogenic morphogen in fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 555
- Osteogenic induction in hereditary disorders of heterotopic ossification.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000; : 303
- The effect of osteogenic protein-1 dosing regimen on ectopic bone formation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; : 264
- Recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 (hOP-1) induces new bone formation in vivo with a specific activity comparable with natural bovine osteogenic protein and stimulates osteoblast proliferation and differentiation in vitro.J Biol Chem. 1992; 267: 20352
- Periarticular heterotopic ossification after total hip arthroplasty. Risk factors and consequences.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991; : 49
- Heterotopic bone formation about the hip undergoes endochondral ossification: a rabbit model.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471: 1584
- The prophylaxis and treatment of heterotopic ossification following lower limb arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89: 434
- Heterotopic ossification following operative treatment of acetabular fracture. An analysis of risk factors.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994; : 96
- Heterotopic ossification following total hip replacement for acetabular fractures.Bone Joint J. 2013; 95-B: 95
- Indomethacin versus radiation therapy for prophylaxis against heterotopic ossification in acetabular fractures: a randomised, prospective study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1998; 80: 259
- Indomethacin compared with localized irradiation for the prevention of heterotopic ossification following surgical treatment of acetabular fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83-A: 1783
- The Frank Stinchfield Award. Inhibition of heterotopic ossification with radiation therapy in an animal model.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; : 35
- Is radiation superior to indomethacin to prevent heterotopic ossification in acetabular fractures?: a systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 526
- Prophylaxis of heterotopic ossification of the hip: systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 3283
- Naproxen in the prevention of heterotopic ossification after total hip replacement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999; : 279
- Naproxen prevention of heterotopic ossification after hip arthroplasty. A prospective control study of 55 patients.Acta Orthop Scand. 1991; 62: 226
- Use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in spinal fusion applications.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002; 27: S66
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein type 2 with cylindrical interbody cages.Spine J. 2004; 4 (discussion 538-9): 527
- Ectopic ossification of the triceps muscle after application of bone morphogenetic protein-7 to the distal humerus for recalcitrant nonunion: a case report.J Hand Surg Am. 2007; 32: 647
- Heterotopic ossification after the use of commercially available recombinant human bone morphogenetic proteins in four patients.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 1617
- Complications of recombinant human BMP-2 for treating complex tibial plateau fractures: a preliminary report.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 3257
One or more of the authors of this article have disclosed potential or pertinent conflicts of interest, which may include receipt of payment, either direct or indirect, institutional support, or association with an entity in the biomedical field, which may be perceived to have potential conflict of interest with this work. For full disclosure statements refer to https://doi.org/10.1016/j.artd.2017.12.004.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy